Re: [HACKERS] book status

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] book status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Yes, I am being payed for the book, at some future date.  I realize
> other developers are using PostgreSQL in their work or in consulting,
> but this is a much more public involvement.  All I can say is that I
> have always been ready to throw money into the PostgreSQL project, and
> will continue to do so when possible.

Since you'll be doing the bulk of the work that is specific to the book,
I can't see any reason to object to you being the one getting paid for
it.  Many (most?) of us are using Postgres for work purposes, or
otherwise deriving some kind of personal/corporate/proprietary benefit
from it.  A book project based on Postgres seems no different to me
from the money my company hopes to make from running a Postgres-based
application.  Indeed, this book project is considerably more likely
to return tangible benefit to the Postgres group (in the form of new
users/contributors attracted to the project) than most other ways
people might be using Postgres to make money.

In short, you needn't offer the slightest apology for collecting the
book royalties personally.  From what I've heard of the book-writing
biz, you're unlikely to get rich off it anyway :-(

Since I didn't see any howls of outrage on the mailing list, I imagine
everyone else thinks the same anyway, but if you need some reassurance
these are my two cents.

> BTW, where do people want the PDF and HTML files?  My idea is to update
> them every night.

Stick 'em on the website/ftpsite somewhere under the docs page.  I'd
probably gripe if I found them getting pulled as part of the regular CVS
source module --- those updates are slow enough already --- but if you
want to keep them in CVS I suppose a separate CVS module could be set up.