Disable result buffering to frontend clients

От Konstantinos Krikellas
Тема Disable result buffering to frontend clients
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

I am trying to execute some queries in PostgreSQL that produce a large
number of results and I do not want to display the output (redirect it
to /dev/null). I have tried the psql client with \o /dev/null option,
JDBC and libpq functions, but all of them have to buffer totally the
result before redirecting it. Is there any way to disable result
buffering, either on the client or on the server side? Note that the
EXPLAIN ANALYSE does not produce consistent estimations as it seems to
avoid calling the result tuple construction function. This is concluded
by the fact that augmenting the projection width hardly changes the
execution time, which is incompatible with the supplementary field copy
cost.

Thanks.
Konstantinos Krikellas