Re: Referential Integrity and SHARE locks

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: Referential Integrity and SHARE locks
Дата
Re: Referential Integrity and SHARE locks
Список pgsql-hackers
> You say below the cut that you're not updating keys, so presumably it's
> other columns. Which leads me to something I've wondered for a while -
> why do we lock the whole row? Is it just a matter of "not optimised that
> yet" or is there a good reason why locking just some columns isn't
> practical.

For the conditions of generating the deadlock, see:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-12/msg00029.php

The reason of the occasional orphan rows is not completely clear to me,
but it must be some kind of race condition while
inserting/deleting/?updating concurrently the parent/child tables.

Cheers,
Csaba.