Re: Piggybacking vacuum I/O

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Piggybacking vacuum I/O
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 09:32 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> On a typical desktop class 2 CPU Dell machine, we have seen pgbench
> clocking more than 1500 tps. That implies CLOG would get filled up in
> less
> than 262144/1500=174 seconds. VACUUM on accounts table takes much
> longer to trigger.

You assume that all of the top level transactions have no
subtransactions. On that test, subtransactions are in use because of the
EXCEPTION clause in the PL/pgSQL used. That should at least double the
number of Xids.

>  So
> most of the 636528 reads in the next 55 minutes can be attributed to
> VACUUM.

A similar argument might also be applied to subtrans, so a similar
investigation seems worthwhile. Subtrans has space for less Xids than
clog, BTW.

OTOH, I do think that 99% of that will not cause I/O.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com