Re: Postgresql.conf

От Jeremy Haile
Тема Re: Postgresql.conf
Дата
Re: Postgresql.conf  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Список pgsql-general
But there are ways that we could optimize count(*) queries for specific
circumstances right?  Obviously this isn't trivial, but I think it would
be nice if we could maintain a number of rows count that could be used
when performing a count(*) on the whole table (no where clause).

I don't know if the overhead of keeping track of that number is worth
the benefits - but I know that querying for the number of rows in a
table is a common need and other RDBMSs do optimize for that special
case.