Re: pg_dump ANALYZE statements

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: pg_dump ANALYZE statements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > ISTM that pg_dump should default to have ANALYZE statements for a table,
> > when both table definition and data are dumped. If only data (-a) or
> > only table definition (-s) is dumped the default should be to *not* add
> > an ANALYZE statement.
>
> Having pg_dump emit ANALYZE was discussed and rejected years ago.
> Have you read that discussion?  Do you have any new arguments to make?

Well, its been suggested before, but I can't see any good arguments
against. Specifically, there was one person who spoke in favour of it
last time it was mentioned.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-02/msg01270.php

If its a performance tip, we should be doing it automatically. If we
genuinely believe that autovacuum will handle it, then we can simply
alter the docs to say: if you aren't running autovacuum, then don't
forget to ANALYZE. IMHO it is not sufficient to rely upon autovacuum to
do all of this work for us.

Rod mentions the discussion has been raised before but doesn't state
what the arguments were:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-02/msg01264.php

These other posts also seem to be in favour of the idea...
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-10/msg00142.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-02/msg01273.php

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com