Re: Alter definition of a column

От af300wsm@gmail.com
Тема Re: Alter definition of a column
Дата
Re: Alter definition of a column  ("ksherlock@gmail.com" <ksherlock@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
ksherlock@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The +4 is for the overhead of a varchar field.

> change the size requires scanning the entire table.  For large tables,
> this will be much slower than the pg_attribute query.  Both will get
> the job done.

Thanks.  Am I correct in assuming that this scanning of the entire
table is done when I use the 'ALTER TABLE' command and not something I
must do after it's done?

Thanks again for explaining it.  I was thinking that the +4 had
something to do with overhead of some sort, but wanted to know for
sure.

Andy