Re: Controlling memory of session

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Controlling memory of session
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 11:02 +0000, James Im wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Postgresql 8.1 on windows2000 and I have a hard time
> understanding how to limit the memory of the sessions to 1 MB.
>
> What I have right now is that each connection (opened with jdbc) takes
> about 3MB (some take a little more, some a little less). I think that
> this is a waste of memory (am-I wrong?).

How are you measuring the memory usage? What is your shared_buffers
setting?

The shared_buffers are only allocated once for all processes, but
because there's no way to tell which process is using the memory
(because it's shared), "top" reports that each process is using the
entire shared buffers, plus all it's private memory.

So, when a new connection is established, it might not actually be using
3MB more than before.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis