Re: psql possible TODO

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: psql possible TODO
Re: psql possible TODO  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> > !46 seems awful easy to me.
>
> [ shrug... ]  Obviously you've learned a different way of doing things.
> I suppose there's no point in telling you that another way is better
> when you're happy with the one that's already wired into your fingertips.

It took me forever to stop putting -print at the end of find ;)

> The main objection I have to the proposal other than not having a use
> for it myself is that adding line numbers to \s output destroys the
> usefulness of \s for any other purpose than the one you propose.  In
> particular, you could no longer take a chunk of it and put it into a SQL
> script without doing a lot of tedious (and mistake-prone) editing to get
> rid of the numbers.  Since that's the only use I've ever had for \s, I'm
> not happy about losing it.

O.k. what about \s# ? Or something like that... Where \s is the good old
fashioned way, and \s# is my new fandango way?

> > Worse yet... what if it is actually query 27 because I got distracted by
> > a support question over jabber from the customer I am actually working
> > on and I need to help him profile a query for a couple of minutes?
>
> Isn't that an argument *against* using numbers for this?

No because I can review my \s, review my list and then begin where I
left off with a simple !27.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/