Re: psql possible TODO

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: psql possible TODO
Re: psql possible TODO  (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> writes:
> > Silly: You could even do \r xyz and load the buffer with the last line
> > beginning xyz
>
> We've got that: control-R xyz.
>
> The thing I'm having a hard time with here is the notion that command
> number is a convenient way of identifying prior commands.  It seems like
> an idea that should have gone out with punched cards.

Imagine that you are profiling 50 queries, the queries are all the same
except for varying where clauses or joins.

Perhaps you are building out a query that contains 50 joins, and you are
building one step at a time (which I do ALL the time). You get to join
47 and realize that your data set isn't right.

Now, there is a chance that query 46 is the query that I want, but
ooops, I have 3 syntax errors so now it is actually query 43. How do I
get back to 43?

I ctrl-r... which really doesn't seem useful in this sense.
I \s and copy and paste? Even worse and what I do now.

Or... I \s and hit !46 (or whatever the ! becomes).

!46 seems awful easy to me.

Worse yet... what if it is actually query 27 because I got distracted by
a support question over jabber from the customer I am actually working
on and I need to help him profile a query for a couple of minutes?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/