Re: psql possible TODO

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: psql possible TODO
Список pgsql-hackers
> > > Just like bash.
> >
> > What we have is just like bash --- at least the parts of it that I use.
>
> This reminds me of the old csh function where you could recall things by
> numbers and do search/replace on them.  The capability was so hard to
> use I could imagine anyone _normal_ using it.

Except that this has nothing to do with that. This is *standard* feature
set for the unix shell:
 794  scp admin@compile.commandprompt.com:pgdump* . 795  scp admin@compile.commandprompt.com:*bench* . 796  joe
pgbench.results 797  ps a-x 798  ps -ax 799  bin/psql -U jd -p5500 bench 800  bin/psql -U jd -p5501 bench 801
bin/pg_ctl-D slave0 stop 802  bin/pg_ctl -D slave1 stop 803  joe bin/starttest.sh 804  history 805  joe
bin/starttest.sh806  history

Oh... that's right, its call starttest.sh:

!805

Except for PostgreSQL it would be:

postgres=# \s

1 SELECT * from cmd_pg_stat_all_tables ;
2 SELECT count(*) from cmd_pg_stat_all_tables ;
3 SELECT count(*) from cmd_pg_stat_database;

postgres=# !1

Otherwise I either have to copy and paste what is 1 or I have to do a
ctrl-r. So now i have done a \s to see what queries are in the buffer
and then I am doing a ctrl-r to get the info out of the buffer. That's
silly. When if there was a number associated, I could just execute
whatever I need.

I am regularly in 100 different catalogs a week, I can't always remember
what is going on from one to the other. I use \s all the time to help
with this. Eliminating the need for a mouse or to cycle through ctrl-r
would make this alot easier.

Don't get me wrong, ctrl-r is great, but it is not an end all :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/