Re: FOR SHARE vs FOR UPDATE locks

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: FOR SHARE vs FOR UPDATE locks
Список pgsql-hackers
> "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > Let's throw an error for now. We have to come back to this in 8.3, I think.
>
> After further thought I think we should also seriously consider plan C:
> do nothing for now.  We now realize that there have been related bugs
> since 8.0, namely that
>
>     begin;
>     select some rows for update;
>     savepoint x;
>     update the same rows;
>     rollback to x;
>
> leaves the tuple(s) not locked.  The lack of complaints about this from
> the field suggests that this isn't a huge problem in practice.  If we
> do make it throw an error I'm afraid that we will break applications
> that aren't having a problem at the moment.
>
> I'm also realizing that a fix along the throw-an-error line is
> nontrivial, eg, HeapTupleSatisfiesUpdate would need another return code.
>
> So at this point we are facing three options:
>     - throw in a large and poorly tested "fix" at the last moment;
>     - postpone 8.2 until we can think of a real fix, which might
>       be a major undertaking;
>     - ship 8.2 with the same behavior 8.0 and 8.1 had.
> None of these are very attractive, but I'm starting to think the last
> is the least bad.

/me struggles...

IMHO:

option 2 is the correct option, but the least favorable.
option 1 is probably bad
option 3 is the lesser of the evils if we document it loudly.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: FOR SHARE vs FOR UPDATE locks