Re: quick review

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: quick review
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 17:09 +0100, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> Looks good feature-wise, but there's a suspicious lack of reference to
> any kind of repair utility for damaged data files.

There is indeed no included repair utility for damaged files. There are
a some tools for examining the Postgres on-disk format (like
pg_filedump[1], and pgfsck[2]), which can be useful for crash recovery.
There is also the zero_damaged_pages configuration parameter, which can
be used to recover from page-level data corruption. Postgres could use
better tools for this sort of low-level crash recovery, I agree. I think
one reason for this is that such tools are rarely needed.

> Using what I assume is the server (postgres.exe - gee, a win32
> service, or an icon or something would've been nice), I keep getting
> "you are not permitted to run as administrator" messages.

Please see the list archives for exhaustive discussions of why Postgres
behaves this way -- I won't rehash them here. Name calling is unlikely
to result in convince many people.

-Neil

[1] http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/utilities.html
[2] http://svana.org/kleptog/pgsql/pgfsck.html (seems not recently