Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview of

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview of
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, R, 2006-11-10 kell 12:19, kirjutas Simon Riggs:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 18:28 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> > > HOT can only work in cases where a tuple does not modify one of the
> > > columns defined in an index on the table, and when we do not alter the
> > > row length of the tuple.
> >
> > Seems like "altering the row length" isn't the issue, it's just "is
> > there room on the page for the new version".  Again, a generous
> > fillfactor would give you more flexibility.
>
> The copy-back operation can only work if the tuple fits in the same
> space as the root tuple. If it doesn't you end up with a tuple
> permanently in the overflow relation. That might not worry us, I guess.
>
> Also, my understanding was that an overwrite operation could not vary
> the length of a tuple (at least according to code comments).

But you can change the t_ctid pointer in the heap tuple to point to
oldest visible tuple in overflow.

What I did not understand very well, is how do you determine, which
overflow tuples are safe to remove. Do you mark/remove them when doing
the copyback ?

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com

NOTICE: This communication contains privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender
by reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments
without copying or disclosing the contents.

Сообщение: Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview ofHOTUpdates
Сообщение: Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview ofHOTUpdates