Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview of HOTUpdates

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview of HOTUpdates
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 13:21 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon,
>
> > If we perform an update that meets the HOT criteria then we put the
> > new version into the overflow relation; we describe this as a HOT
> > UPDATE. If we perform an update that does not meet the criteria, then we
> > carry on with the existing/old MVCC behaviour; we describe this as a
> > non-HOT UPDATE.
>
> Making the essential performance analysis question, "Am I HOT or Not?"

Very good. ;-)

Well, we had Overflow Update CHaining as an alternative name... :-)

The naming sounds silly, but we had a few alternate designs, so we
needed to be able to tell them apart sensibly. We've had TVR, SITC, UIP
and now HOT. Software research...

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com