Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.

От Brainmue
Тема Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
16. Juni 2023 17:41, "Ron" <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> schrieb:

> On 6/16/23 10:18, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2023-06-16 at 14:49 +0000, Brainmue wrote:
>
> 16. Juni 2023 14:50, "Laurenz Albe" <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> schrieb:
>> On Fri, 2023-06-16 at 12:35 +0000, Brainmue wrote:
>>
>> We want to minimise dependencies between the application and the associated PostgreSQL DB.
>> The idea is that the application gets its DB alias and this is then used as a connection string.
>> This way we can decide in the backend on which server the PostgreSQL DB is running.
>> There is an existing solution for that: the libpq connection service file:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html
>>
>> If you want to manage the connection strings centrally, you can use LDAP lookup:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-ldap.html
>
> Thank you, I already know this solution, but the LDAP solution is out of the question for us and
> the file again means an intervention on the client. And that's exactly what we don't want.
>> Okay.
>>
>> Then why don't you go with your original solution, but use a unique TCP port number
>> for each database? There are enough port numbers available. That way, there is no
>> collision and no need for a proxy to map port numbers.
>
> In practice, that gets very complicated is large organizations: every time you add another
> database, you must file another request with the CISO RISK office to get yet another non-standard
> port open from dozens of machines, and the network team implement them.
>
> Operationally much simpler to have a listener handle that.
>
> -- Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Hello Ron,

I have to agree with you there as well. The workflow you have to go through is also often a time
issue.
There are many places that have to agree and then application owners still have to provide
justifications.
At the same time, we have to be flexible and fast and allocate the resources well at any time and
provide the application with the maximum possible performance.

Regards
Michael

Сообщение: Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.
Сообщение: Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.