Unquoted service path containing space is vulnerable and can be exploited on Windows

От Naoya Anzai
Тема Unquoted service path containing space is vulnerable and can be exploited on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi All

The following problem is what I had posted before.
I have received comments from PostgreSQL-hackers that
this problem have a possibility to exploit the vulnerability.

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/PostgreSQL-Service-on-Windows-does-not-start-quot-is-not-a-valid-Win32-application-quot-td5776048.html

So could anyone confirm?

Regards,
Naoya

> Hi All,
>
> I have found a case that PostgreSQL Service does not start.
> When it happens, the following error appears.
>
>  "is not a valid Win32 application"
>
> This failure occurs when the following conditions are true.
>
> 1. There is "postgres.exe" in any directory that contains a space,
>    such as "Program Files".
>
>    e.g.)
>    C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\bin\postgres.exe
>
> 2. A file using the first white space-delimited
>    tokens of that directory as the file name exists,
>    and there is it in the same hierarchy.
>
>    e.g.)
>    C:\Program     //file
>
> "pg_ctl.exe" as PostgreSQL Service creates a postgres
> process using an absolute path which indicates the
> location of "postgres.exe",but the path is not enclosed
> in quotation.
>
> Therefore,if the above-mentioned conditions are true,
> CreateProcessAsUser(a Windows Function called by pg_ctl.exe)
> tries to create a process using the other file such
> as "Program", so the service fails to start.
>
> Accordingly, I think that the command path should be
> enclosed in quotation.
>
> I created a patch to fix this failure,
> So could anyone confirm?
>
> Regards,