Re: bug or feature, || -operator and NULLs

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: bug or feature, || -operator and NULLs
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 15:44 +0200, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> I'm not advocating that NULL should have a string-vaule of anything, just that
> the ||-operator shuld treat NULL as "dont bother with it and proceed
> concatenation".

Not only is the current behavior more logical (IMHO) and backward
compatible with existing Postgres application, it is consistent with the
SQL spec and most non-broken implementations of it. I think your chances
of getting the default behavior changed are slim indeed.

I think a more sensible proposal could be made for some sort of optional
"compatibility mode", as has been discussed many times in the past:
different NULL handling could theoretically be part of an Oracle SQL
dialect.

-Neil

Сообщение: Re: bug or feature, || -operator and NULLs
Сообщение: Re: bug or feature, || -operator and NULLs