Re: A query planner that learns

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: A query planner that learns
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 12:48, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> > > Saves it and then... does what? That's the whole key...
> >
> > It's meant as a first step.  I could certainly use a daily report on
> > which queries had bad plans so I'd know which ones to investigate
> > without having to run them each myself in explain analyze.  Again, my
> > point was to do it incrementally.  This is something someone could do
> > now, and someone could build on later.
> >
> > To start with, it does nothing.  Just saves it for the DBA to look at.
> > Later, it could feed any number of the different hinting systems people
> > have been proposing.
> >
> > It may well be that by first looking at the data collected from problems
> > queries, the solution for how to adjust the planner becomes more
> > obvious.
>
> Yeah, that would be useful to have. The problem I see is storing that
> info in a format that's actually useful... and I'm thinking that a
> logfile doesn't qualify since you can't really query it.

grep / sed / awk can do amazing things to a text file.

I'd actually recommend URL encoding (or something like that) so they'd
be single lines, then you could grep for certain things and feed the
lines to a simple de-encoder.

We do it with our log files at work and can search through some fairly
large files for the exact entry we need fairly quickly.