Re: Question on MD5 authentication

От Wei Weng
Тема Re: Question on MD5 authentication
Список pgsql-general
I think I have found out something suspicious.

I used tcpdump to monitor the traffic to and from port 5432, and it
seems that the password the client on A sends out to the postmaster on B
is

"md54570471eccef21ae3c6e43033d8d2f66"

While the MD5-ed password stored in system catalog (pg_shadow) is

"md5c573460a3b356e4610bfae406e1d8a9f"

And a MD5 string generated by md5 function in postgresql is:

template1=# select md5('test_passwd');
               md5
 daac2bc8c6fe94375b59efb7b3effd33
(1 row)

(As you can see, all 3 strings are different)

Why the difference?  Is there something missing ??

Thanks

Wei