Re: Is it possible to return custom type as proper ROW?

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Is it possible to return custom type as proper ROW?
Дата
Re: Is it possible to return custom type as proper ROW?  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 01:36 +0530, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Uwe C. Schroeder <uwe@oss4u.com> wrote:
> > Well, "SELECT *" is only evil if your application relies on a specific column
> > order to function. The moment you change the table layout and you're using
> > "select *" your application will cease functioning.
> > My app uses tons of select *, but then I wrote an object mapper that queries
> > the information schema at startup - so it's aware of table changes and
> > adjusts accordingly.
>
> +1
>
> assumed column ordering is the real enemy.  Here is another place
> where select * is imo better style than non select *:
>
> select q.*, bar from
> (
>  select a, b,c from foo
> ) q;

What is "bar"?

Were you trying to show how * can be used when you have already
specified the order in a subquery?

That makes sense to me as long as you always see the order in the query,
and as long as it's always well-defined.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis