Re: Index Tuning Features

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: Index Tuning Features
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> The above process can be performed without tool support, but its clear
> that further automation will help greatly here. I foresee that the
> development of both server-side and tools will take more than one
> release. Discussion of tool support can begin once we have agreed
> server-side capability.

If it came to automated tools, wouldn't fit in this discussion to give
some performance requirement limits to the RECOMMEND tool ? In a
workload not all queries are real time or high priority, and such a
lesser impact index can help enough sometimes to meet the requirements,
compared to a high impact index which would make the query fly.

Example: inserting in a table must be real time, reporting can be taken
offline...

So it would be nice to have a recommendation tool which can take into
account the performance requirements of the individual queries, possibly
making the right compromises to meat all requirements for all queries.

Cheers,
Csaba.