Re: Recommendation of a slogan for PostgreSQL 8.2

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Recommendation of a slogan for PostgreSQL 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 18:21 +0200, Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> After rereading the "Whats new" section of http://momjian.us/cgi-
> bin/pgrelease,
> I recommend that PostgreSQL 8.2 should get a slogan "the polished
> release"
>
>    PostgreSQL 8.2 - the polished release

Just my opinion, but that doesn't sound like a catchy slogan.

I think it might be a good idea to just say "performance". It is more of
a statement because, in some circles, people do not associate PostgreSQL
with performance, and it might be a good opportunity to ask them to re-
evaluate PostgreSQL's performance.

If we link to a simple performance guide, maybe that will get more
people testing with settings other than the defaults. Maybe it would be
useful to make a more directly-targeted guide like "before you benchmark
PostgreSQL...". This guide could help people compare apples to apples.
For instance, if they leave fsync on, make sure the database they
compare against also protects the data.

However, if we say "polish", who are we converting with that statement?
PostgreSQL already has a polished perception. Maybe "usability" might be
better?

Both of my suggestions have already been mentioned, so I'm not claiming
that these are my ideas.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis