Re: OIDs (Or: another RTFM question?)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: OIDs (Or: another RTFM question?)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
>>> How much of a pain would it be to make that a 64-bit counter?
>> It'd be nontrivial, primarily because of portability issues...

> This stuff should be configurable, depending on platform support.

We do already support platforms where Datum is 64 bits because pointers
are 64 bits (eg, Alpha); on such hardware I think 64-bit OIDs would
have near-zero added execution cost.  But I'm troubled by the notion of
having OID be 32 bits on some platforms and 64 on others.  We have more
than enough platform-dependency issues already...