Re: COUNT & Pagination

От mallah@trade-india.com
Тема Re: COUNT & Pagination
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> I understand that COUNT queries are expensive.  So I'm looking for advice
> on
> displaying paginated query results.
>
> I display my query results like this:
>
>   Displaying 1 to 50 of 2905.
>   1-50 | 51-100 | 101-150 | etc.
>
> I do this by executing two queries.  One is of the form:
>
>   SELECT <select list> FROM <view/table list> WHERE <filter> LIMIT m
> OFFSET n
>
> The other is identical except that I replace the select list with
> COUNT(*).
>
> I'm looking for suggestions to replace that COUNT query.

We avert the subsequent execution of count(*) by passing the
value of cout(*) as a query parameter through the link in page
numbers. This works for us.

This ofcourse assumes that that the number of rows matching the
Where clause does not changes while the user is viewing the search
results.

Hope it helps.

Regds
Mallah.