Re: 8.2 features status

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: 8.2 features status
Дата
Re: TODO system WAS: 8.2 features status
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 15:44 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> As far as the "problem in need of solving," it's what Andrew Dunstan
> referred to as "splendid isolation," which is another way of saying,
> "letting the thing you've taken on gather dust while people think
> you're working on it."

I'm just not convinced this is a problem. We've seen *one* example of
this happening in recent times (hierarchical queries) -- but even with
better communication, it's not like there were hordes of folks
volunteering to hack on hierarchical queries who just idled because they
thought it was already being completed.

If people are interested in the status of a patch, I think it's fine for
them to email the person who's volunteered to work on it. If there
hasn't been public activity from that person in recent times, it is
probably a reasonable bet that the work has stalled. Formalizing the
process strikes me as a waste of time, and IMHO would mostly serve to
irritate the folks working on these features.

-Neil