Re: 8.2 features status

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: 8.2 features status
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, R, 2006-08-04 kell 00:46, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > To me new things are like PITR, Win32, savepoints, two-phase commit,
> > > partitioned tables, tablespaces.  These are from 8.0 and 8.1.  What is
> > > there in 8.2 like that?
> >
> > [ shrug... ]  Five out of your six items have no basis in the SQL spec.
> > So it's not clear to me what your definition of "major feature" is,
> > unless maybe it's "anything except what we did for 8.2".  Can you
> > enumerate ten things you would consider comparable to the above features
> > that aren't done yet?
>
> No, I cannot.  I do think our missing list is shrinking.  My point is
> that you really couldn't easily work around the 8.0/8.1 items I listed
> if they were missing, while the 8.2 items could be more easily
> worked-around.

The workaround for missing concurrent vacuum was to design your
databases so the your small and large OLTP tables are on different
servers or that you keep a replica and vacuum your large tables there
and then switch over to it.

It is debatable if that qualifies as "more easily worked-around"

The workaround for pl/python not allowing returning records and sets was
to write an actual pl/python function to generate the data and to store
it in global ditionary GD, a set of pl/python data retrieval functions
for each postgresql data type used and a wrapper function in pl/pgsql to
call the real function and then return the the data records using the
data retrieval functions.

May be simple, but a real PITA to do for more than one function.

I guess some other new features that were missing before were as easy to
work around :)

> Again, nothing wrong with that.

Sure. Actually I think that people were able to work around missing
features in 8.0/8.1 as well. The proof being, that people *did* actually
use postgresql before 8.x , some even on win32 ;)

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com