Re: doesn't recognize "!=-" (not equal to a negative

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: doesn't recognize "!=-" (not equal to a negative
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 05:55, Clodoaldo Pinto wrote:
> 2006/7/11, Oisin Glynn <me@oisinglynn.com>:
> > Paul Tilles wrote:
> > > Version postgres 7.4.7:
> > >
> > > Following sql
> > >
> > > UPDATE tablename SET value = 0.0 where value!=-9.4;
> > >
> > > results in the error message
> > >
> > > ERROR:  operator does not exist: smallint !=- integer
> > > HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You
> > > may need to add explicit type casts.
> > >
> > > Seems that postgres has a problem parsing a "not equal negative value".
> > >
> > > Anybody know if this is fixed in later versions?
> > >
> > > Paul Tilles

> > > TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?
> > >
> > >               http://archives.postgresql.org
> > Just tested on 8.1.1  I was getting the same error but if i put a space
> > between the "=" and the "-" it works!
>
> I have already counted 6 very similar answers. Is there some problem
> with the list software that prevents people from noticing it has
> already been answered?

I think it's just the vagaries of the internet.  By the time any one of
us saw the other's response, we'd already written it.  Plus, it's an
easy question to answer, so there was little delay in thinking up a
response for most folks.

It's better than some other mailing lists I've been on, where such
questions receive thundering silence for days on end... :)