Re: VACUUM and fsm_max_pages

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: VACUUM and fsm_max_pages
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 01:57, DANTE Alexandra wrote:
> Good morning List,
>
> I have seen several posts on this concept but I don’t find a complete
> response.
> I’m using BenchmarkSQL to evaluate PostgreSQL in transaction processing
> and I work with PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on RHEL4-AS, Itanium-2 processor, 8GB RAM.
>
> The database, generated via BenchmarkSQL and used, is a 200-warehouses
> database and its size is about 20GB. The parameter “max_fsm_pages” is
> equal to 20000 and “max_fsm_relations” to 1000.
>
> Between two benchs, I launch a VACUUM but at the end of it, I see that
> PostgreSQL asks me to increase the “max_fsm_pages” parameters and the
> value proposed grows with the number of VACUUM launched…

Oh, and if you can backup your database and import it into a test
server, see how much smaller your new data/base directory is over the
one on your production server.  That'll give you an idea of how bloated
your database is.  10 to 30% larger is fine.  100 to 1000% larger is
bad.  You get the idea.