Re: query very slow when enable_seqscan=on

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: query very slow when enable_seqscan=on
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 22:31 +0200, Tomasz Ostrowski wrote:
> I have a very slow query when enable_seqscan=on and very fast when
> enable_seqscan=off. My schema looks like this (relevant columns
> only):
> PS. Actual table and column names are different (they're in Polish)
> but I've translated them for better readability for english-speaking.

Thanks

> PS. I wonder if it makes sense to "enable_seqscan=off" for every client
> if a database is small enough to fit in OS cache.

You can set this for individual statements if you choose to.

>          ->  Seq Scan on organization  (cost=0.00..480.95 rows=1
> width=4) (actual time=0.071..69.702 rows=1892 loops=1)
>                Filter: ((organization_location)::text ~*
> 'warszawa'::text)

The issue is caused by the under-estimation of the number of rows in the
table as a result of the regular expression comparison. As a result the
planner thinks it can choose a nested loops scan, though ends up doing
1892 seq scans of persons, when it thought it would do only one.

The under estimation is a known issue. Posting to -perform for the
record.

--
  Simon Riggs

Сообщение: Re: query very slow when enable_seqscan=on
Сообщение: Re: query very slow when enable_seqscan=on