Re: Which processor runs better for Postgresql?

От Steve Poe
Тема Re: Which processor runs better for Postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Dave, Joshua, Scott (and all),

Thanks for your feedback, while I do appreciate it, I did not intent on
making this discussion "buy this instead"...I whole-heartly agree with
you. Joshua, you made the best comment, it is a business decision for
the client. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I've recommended
Sun or Penguin Computing which I've had no technical issues with. They
did not dispute my recommendation but they ignored it. I have not like
Dell, on the server side, since 1998 - 2000 time period.

Excluding Dell's issues, has anyone seen performance differences between
AMD's Opteron and Intel's new Xeon's (dual or quad CPU or dual-core). If
anyone has done benchmark comparisons between them, any summary
information would be appreciated.

For now, I am asking the client to hold-off and wait for the AMD Opteron
availability on the Dell servers.

Thanks again.

Steve