64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?

От Anthony Presley
Тема 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?
Дата
Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?  (David Boreham <david_list@boreham.org>)
Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?  (Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi all!

I had an interesting discussion today w/ an Enterprise DB developer and
sales person, and was told, twice, that the 64-bit linux version of
Enterprise DB (which is based on the 64-bit version of PostgreSQL 8.1)
is SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER than the 32-bit version.  Since the guys of EDB
are PostgreSQL ..... has anyone seen that the 64-bit is slower than the
32-bit version?

I was told that the added 32-bits puts a "strain" and extra "overhead"
on the processor / etc.... which actually slows down the pointers and
necessary back-end "stuff" on the database.

I'm curious if anyone can back this up .... or debunk it.  It's about
the polar opposite of everything I've heard from every other database
vendor for the past several years, and would be quite an eye-opener for
me.

Anyone?

Thanks.

--