Re: "make check" fails over NFS or tmpfs

От Rafael Martinez, Guerrero
Тема Re: "make check" fails over NFS or tmpfs
Дата
Re: "make check" fails over NFS or tmpfs  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 06:15, SODA Noriyuki wrote:

Hei

> We've encountered failures of "make check", when we put PostgreSQL
> data directory on a NFS filesystem or a tmpfs filesystem.
> It doesn't always fail, but fails occasionally.

To have a database on a NFS filesystem is a disaster waiting to happen,
specially if the NFS server is running on Linux. Not to talk on the
performance penalty of running the database via NFS.

I would say that anything is better than NFS for running a database. But
if you absolutely have to use NFS, run NFS via TCP not UDP, use hard and
turn off all cache ..... In the server side we are talking about 'sync'
and 'no_wdelay' parameters and in the client about
'bg','hard','intr','noac' and 'tcp', probably the throughput will
improve by increasing rsize and wsize to 16384 or even 32768.

regards,
--
Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>
University of Oslo, Norway

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/

Сообщение: Re: "make check" fails over NFS or tmpfs
Сообщение: Re: "make check" fails over NFS or tmpfs