Re: Compression and on-disk sorting

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, R, 2006-05-19 kell 14:57, kirjutas Jim C. Nasby:

> > > Was he not using pg_bench data ?
> >
> > Hmm, so there was only 3 integer fields and one varlena structure which
> > was always empty. This prepended with a tuple header with mostly blank
> > fields or at least repeated, yes, I can see how we might get a 25-to-1
> > compression.
> >
> > Maybe we need to change pgbench so that it puts random text in the
> > filler field, that would at least put some strain on the compression
> > algorithm...
>
> Wow, I thought there was actually something in there...
>
> True random data wouldn't be such a great test either; what would
> probably be best is a set of random words, since in real life you're
> unlikely to have truely random data.

I usually use something like the following for my "random name" tests:

#!/usr/bin/python

import random

words = [line.strip() for line in open('/usr/share/dict/words')]

def make_random_name(min_items, max_items):   l = []   for w in range(random.randint(min_items, max_items)):
l.append(random.choice(words))  return ' '.join(l)

it gives out somewhat justifyable but still quite amusing results:

>>> make_random_name(2,4)
'encroaches Twedy'
>>> make_random_name(2,4)
'annuloida Maiah commends imputatively'
>>> make_random_name(2,4)
'terebral wine-driven pacota'
>>> make_random_name(2,4)
'ballads disenfranchise cabriolets spiny-fruited'

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com

Сообщение: Re: text_position worst case runtime
Сообщение: Re: text_position worst case runtime