allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE

От Csaba Nagy
Тема allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE
Дата
Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE  ("Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42@gmail.com>)
Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

Currently the LIMIT clause is not allowed in UPDATE or DELETE
statements. I wonder how easy it would be to allow it, and what people
think about it ? For our application it would help a lot when processing
things chunk-wise to avoid long running queries.

The fact that the actual rows processed would be unpredictable does not
make it less useful for us. We actually don't care which rows are
processed, we process them all anyway, we just want to make sure it is a
limited number at a time. A lot of our processes do take large amounts
of time (hours up to days), and we cannot allow that to be in one
transaction, the system does on-line processing too...

I guess the low-level infrastructure is already there (from what I
understood from earlier postings, but I may be wrong), and the question
is more if this feature is worth to be included or not... and the syntax
must be adjusted of course if yes.

All comments welcome...

Thanks,
Csaba.