Re: GUI Interface

От Russ Brown
Тема Re: GUI Interface
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 07:31 -0500, Tony Caduto wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > Only runs on Windows though doesn't it?
> >
> > Regards, Dave
> >

> Hardly a limitation since Linux and other Unix based operating systems
> account for a trivial percent of the desktop market.  I would guess that
> more regular people (NON FOSS developers) access Postgresql from a win32
> Desktop not a Unix one.
> When Linux gets above 20% it might make sense to make applications for
> it, or if there was a thriving  RAD IDE like Delphi.  Mono is shaping up
> and so is Lazarus, but
> they  are not there yet, and WXwidgets/Python etc is not productive at
> all, and Java is slow.
> By the way PGLA actually works OK with the latest version of WINE so it
> can run on Linux, just not natively.

It runs like a dog in Wine and is extremely unstable in my experience.
The only thing I run under Wine is IE6 and I only do that because I need
to test webapps on it.

As for the desktop market, it may be true the Windows accounts for the
majority of the *entire* desktop market, but I'd be willing to bet that
the profile of the desktop market containing customers who would want or
need an RDBMS GUI would be very different. Everyone at my place of work
who would have a need for such an app runs linux, which would currently
put PG Lightning Admin out of the picture (which I might add is a Damn
Shame because it looks really nice).

--

Russ