Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, P, 2006-04-16 kell 11:31, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> "Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
> > So we should probably document that rsync is only working solution.
>
> No, we're just turning off the variable.  One experiment on one version
> of rsync doesn't prove it's "safe", even if there weren't the kernel-
> behavior issue to consider.

But if we do need to consider the kernel-level behaviour mentioned, then
the whole PITR thing becomes an impossibility. Consider the case when we
get a torn page during the initial copy with tar/cpio/rsync/whatever,
and no WAL record updates it.

In that case we will just have a torn page in backup with no way to fix
it.

Hannu