Re: Google SoC--Idea Request

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Google SoC--Idea Request
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 21:24 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> one to allow a message to be sent with the notify, and one to move
> from a table based design to shared mem/disk.

Doing the latter is a precondition for implementing the former in a
reasonable way, I believe.

BTW, these two web log entries summarizing Mono and Mozilla's
experiences with SoC might make interesting reading:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/2006/03/summer_of_code_six_months_on.html
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/Apr-13.html

> we should also look at project ideas for porting some of the most used
> third-party OSS software to PostgreSQL too (portals, CMS systems,
> accounting systems, etc.).

Given the above, I would be wary of such projects bit-rotting. If the
upstream project hasn't bothered to add PostgreSQL support, there might
be a good reason why: writing truly database-agnostic applications is
not always easy (or even desirable).

-Neil