Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE?
Дата
Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE?
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM, ash <ash@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Should this fail, the user will have to work around it, but most of the
>> time it could just work.

> You're either missing or choosing to ignore the point that I'm making,
> which is that we *don't have* the text form of the view anywhere.

Even if we did, I don't think it'd affect this decision.

The real problem in my mind is one of user expectations.  If the database
silently does something behind your back, people expect that that action
will be *right* and they don't have to worry about it.  I don't think
that automatically reparsing views has much chance of clearing that bar.
In much simpler, non-extensible SQL systems it could probably work, but
for better or worse Postgres has gone all-in on datatype extensibility.