Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB &

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB &
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 17:03, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> > Here is my current configuration:

> > Also, I may be overlooking a postgresql.conf setting.  I have attached the
> > config file.
>
> You could try to lower shared_buffers from 30000 to 16384. Setting
> this value too high can in some cases be counterproductive according
> to doc's I read.

FYI, that was very true before 8.0, but since the introduction of better
cache management algorithms, you can have pretty big shared_buffers
settings.

> Also try to lower work_mem from 16384 to 8192 or 4096. This setting is
> for each sort, so it does become expensive in terms of memory when
> many sorts are being carried out. It does depend on the complexity of
> your sorts of course.

But looking at his usage of RAM on his box, it doesn't look like one at
the time that snapshot was taken.  Assuming the box was busy then, he's
OK.  Otherwise, he'd show a usage of swapping, which he doesn't.

Сообщение: Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB & Adaptec RAID 2200S
Сообщение: Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB & Adaptec RAID 2200S