Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Список pgsql-patches
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 08:16 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> If all you were doing with the view was reading from it then sure...
> Creating the rules for all the views you want to make them updatable
> wouldn't be fun.

Well, updateable views are on the TODO list: expending our finite
development resources implementing those would add plainly useful
functionality and improve our conformance with the SQL standard, neither
of which can be said about synonyms.

> It'd be nice to be able to support them in Postgres without
> having to go through alot of work.

I'm still unconvinced that this feature would be sufficiently useful to
justify the maintenance burden, in addition to the added complexity:
even if it is implemented in a way that imposes minimal *runtime*
overhead, new features add complexity: introducing a bunch of new DDL
commands and a new concept ("synonyms") makes the system more difficult
for users to understand.

-Neil