Re: Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN

От Mark Lewis
Тема Re: Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 13:00 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> PostgreSQL on a SAN won't buy you what I think you think it will. It's
> essentially impossible to safely run two PostgreSQL installs off the
> same data files without destroying your data. What a SAN can buy you is
> disk-level replication, but I've no experience with that.

It is possible to run two instances against the same SAN using tools
such as RedHat's Cluster Suite.  We use that in-house as a cheap
alternative for Oracle clustering, although we're not using it for our
PostgreSQL servers yet.  It's not for load balancing, just
active/passive fault tolerance.

-- Mark Lewis