Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 21:12, Chris wrote:
> >>Then, even if you do write something to use postgresql a lot of hosts
> >>don't support it anyway ('mysql is good enough').. so you're stuck.
> >
> > Well, I guess the moment all the hoster's have to buy commercial licenses for
> > providing a database they'll switch to PG in no time - or charge more for the
> > people who absolutely need mysql.
> > Maybe it's time to write a sophisticated "mysql to postgresql" automation
> > tool....
>
> Converting the database itself is easy (there's a few scripts in contrib
> and I've written one myself).
>
> The hard stuff is converting stuff like mysql's "last_insert_id" to a
> postgres alternative, fixing queries that aren't standard..
>
> eg mysql doesn't force you to group by all columns being selected - I
> can do:

The funny thing is that by fixing these things, which MySQL seems to be
doing one at a time, they make PostgreSQL more and more attractive at
least as a co supported database for most applications.  If you've got
to fix 19 queries to make MySQL 5.1 work, and only one more query to
make PostgreSQL work, you might was well.