Re: What happened to the is_ family of functions proposal?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: What happened to the is_ family of functions proposal?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar sep 21 13:41:32 -0400 2010:
>> ...never make this work for anything more complicated than say float8in().

> ... which is what people want anyway.  I mean, the day someone requests
> is_sthcomplex, we could happily tell them that they need to use the
> expensive workaround involving savepoints.  I don't think we really need
> to support the ones that would require truly expensive refactoring; the
> simple ones would cover 99% of the use cases.

Robert was complaining about COPY in particular.  It's hard to see how
you make any progress on that if you don't have pretty near 100%
coverage of datatypes.  I don't object if someone puts in is_integer,
is_float, etc; but that's nowhere near a general purpose solution.