Re: streamlined standby procedure

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: streamlined standby procedure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 16:58, Andrew Rawnsley wrote:
> IMHO the #1 priority in the current PITR/WAL shipping system is to make the
> standby able to tolerate being shut down and restarted, i.e. actually having
> a true standby mode and not the current method of doing it only on startup.

This fits nicely in what I would like to achieve, and it might be
actually a better start.

> While it is a trivial thing to fool postgres into staying in startup/restore
> mode with a restore_command that blocks until more files are available, if
> the machine needs to be shut down for whatever reason you have to go back to
> the last image and replay to the present, which isn't always convenient. Nor
> are you able to shut down the standby, copy it to a second instance to use
> for testing/development/whatever, and restart the standby.

Why would you shut down the standby to copy it ? It would by nicer to be
able build a "standby of the standby" ;-)
Even nicer would be to have a stand-by which allows read only access,
but I guess that's a tough call.

Cheers,
Csaba.