Re: Transact SQL compatibility layer

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Transact SQL compatibility layer
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 18:46, James Harper wrote:
> Is there such a thing as a translator/proxy that can pretend to be a
> Microsoft SQL server and proxy all the commands to a PostgreSQL server,
> and the results back again? Obviously the purpose of it would be to
> allow an application written for MSSQL Server to work with PostgreSQL
> without modification.
>
> If not, has such a thing been considered? What would be the obstacles to
> developing such a proxy?

The amount of work required here would be pretty huge.

Plus, what versions of MSSQL do you emulate?  What about newer versions
of both MSSQL and PGSQL.  If constant maintenance wasn't done on it, it
would soon become a legacy project.

My guess is that the only way you could make it happen would be to form
a company and sell it commercially.  I doubt any folks in the open
source community would feel a burning desire to spend a lot of time
making PostgreSQL act like it was MSSQL server.

There are few, if any, projects that require MSSQL that I'd be
interested enough in to put that much effort into adapting PostgreSQL to
act like it was MSSQL server.