Re: Page-Level Encryption

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Page-Level Encryption
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 14:58, David Blewett wrote:

> >> I'm looking for something that runs *inside* of Postgres, at a
> >> higher level than a loop-back encrypted volume. This way, it would
> >> only be available when the database engine was running, and ideally
> >> only accessible to an authenticated/logged in user.
> > Nothing that I know of that would work without custom development.
> > There are of course plenty of libraries.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Joshua D. Drake
> >

> Just as an aside, this paper is rather interesting:
> <http://people.csail.mit.edu/akiezun/encrypted-search-report.pdf>
>
> Instead of needing the table to be decrypted for ordinary access via
> SQL, they suggest a new method of indexing encrypted material. In it,
> they talk about a system (Mofdet) they've developed, but I was unable
> to locate anything online regarding it.

Please note that there's an awful lot of snake oil for sale in the
encryption market.  Not saying that's what this is, I haven't read it.
And mit tends to be pretty spot on, so I'm not talking about this
particular encryption program.  just be careful about unsubstantiated
claims, as there are plenty of systems that are little more than three
card monty games out there.