psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "xxxx"

От Steve Taylor
Тема psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "xxxx"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi.

I installed PostgreSQL 8.1.2 on Windows XP Pro. I started psql (via the start
menu) and created a user. Then I exited psql using \q. Then I tried to start it
again and got:
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"
and the command window closed.

I don't understand what is going on. Is this some kind of bug? I have searched
the mailing list archives and found dozens upon dozens of people reporting this
error message, but it's either for a different reason or where it's the same
situation as mine, the message goes unreplied.

The really weird thing is that I did a full uninstall (removed it in Add/Remove
programs AND deleted the directory \Program Files\PostgreSQL) and now psql
won't work AT ALL. I'm just trying to get started. I just want to create ONE
table so I can play around with jdbc.

Why the hell doesn't psql just startup and ask for a username and password? That
makes so much sense that it will never happen.

- Steve