Re: Performance Low Using the Prepare and Execute

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Performance Low Using the Prepare and Execute
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 20:38 +0000, Marcos José Setim wrote:
> I want to use the Prepare and Execute resources of PostgreSQL to
> increment the performance of my SQL's.

> $sSQL = 'INSERT INTO teste (nome) VALUES( ? )';
>
> $oDB->Prepare( $sSQL );

The PREPARE documentation states:[1]

        Prepared statements have the largest performance advantage when
        a single session is being used to execute a large number of
        similar statements. The performance difference will be
        particularly significant if the statements are complex to plan
        or rewrite, for example, if the query involves a join of many
        tables or requires the application of several rules. If the
        statement is relatively simple to plan and rewrite but
        relatively expensive to execute, the performance advantage of
        prepared statements will be less noticeable.

Since an INSERT ... VALUES without a subselect or any applicable rules
requires very little parsing, planning, or rewriting time,
PREPARE/EXECUTE is unlikely to improve performance.

-Neil

[1] http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-prepare.html