Re: Big 7.1 open items

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck) writes:
> Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>> Those who live in HP houses should not throw stones :))

>     Huh?  Up to HPUX-9 they used to have BSD-FFS - even if it was
>     a 4.2 BSD one - no?

Yeah, the standard HPUX filesystem is still BSD ... and it still runs
rings around Linux extfs2 in my experience.  (I've been informed that
Linux has better filesystems than extfs2, but that seems to be what
the average Linux user is running.)  I have a realtime data collection
program that usually wants to write several thousand small files during
shutdown.  The shutdown typically takes about 3 minutes on an HP 715/75,
upwards of 10 minutes on a Linux box with nominally-faster hardware.

BTW, HP is trying to sell people on using a new journaling filesystem
that they claim outperforms BSD, but my few experiments with it
haven't encouraged me to pursue it.